Harold Edward Ritterbusch
Harold Edward Ritterbusch, age 93, formerly of 1304 Curtis Creek Rd, died on Wednesday, October 7, 2015 in Sunset Home. He was born on September 19, 1922 in Springfield, IL the son of Fred Frank & Ellen Marie "Nellie" (Power) Ritterbusch. He married Darlene Mae (Vollbracht) Ritterbusch on July 14, 1942 in Palmyra, MO. She preceded him in death on October 13, 2013. Mr. Ritterbusch was in sales for many years and was also the former owner of the Harrison Pub. He was a graduate of Lanphier High School in Springfield and also served in the Army Air Force during WWII. He was a member of the Church of St. Peter.
Harold's proudest and greatest achievement was his marriage of 71 years to his wife, Darlene. He survived Non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a heart attack and a stroke, however, he never could recover from the loss of his wife. He was a diehard fan of the CUBS. Harold enjoyed numerous activities and hobbies, including coin collecting, Suduko puzzles, writing poems, and reading. He will be remembered for his quick wit and kindness to others even in his final days. He will also be known for his ability to become friends with any dog, goose, squirrel or bird on Curtis Creek Road.
The family would like to thank all of Harold's caregivers over the last few years, but especially the staff of Sunset Home, the Illinois Veterans Home, and Dr. Adam "Redbird" Reyburn for the wonderful care that they provided.
Survivors include his six children; Joan Haubrich and her husband Joseph of Quincy; Jim Ritterbusch and his wife Joyce of Galena, IL; Jeanne Thomas and her husband Roger; Jerry Ritterbusch and his wife Lisa; Joseph Ritterbusch and his wife Tammy, all of Quincy; and Juliene Lemon and her husband Terry of Hiawatha, IA.
18 grandchildren: Greg Haubrich and his wife Victoria, Mark Haubrich and his wife Pam, Amy Douglas and her husband Scott, Paula Nagel and her husband Rodney; CJ Ritterbusch and his wife Mary Catherine; Chad Ritterbusch and his wife Melissa; Cory Ritterbusch and his wife Emily; Eric Thomas and his wife Kathryn; Kelly Thomas and her companion Jeff Jones; Shawn Thomas; Lori Miller and her husband Darin; Kara Ritterbusch; Brian Ritterbusch and his wife Kristen; Bradley Ritterbusch; Stephanie Kamm and her husband Cody; Whitney Cox and her husband Michael; Brooke Walters and her husband Zach and Tyler Lemon. 36 great-grandchildren, and five great-great grandchildren
Two sisters: Sister Kevin Ritterbusch, OSU; and Lorraine "Skip" Hamrick. Sisters-in-law: Marjorie Moore; Lena "Nubie" Vollbracht and Marilyn Vollbracht. Numerous nieces, nephews other relatives and a Dear Family Friend: Sherry Duffy also survives.
He was preceded in death by two brothers: George and Fred Ritterbusch and 2 sisters: Mary Catherine Ritterbusch in childhood and Dorothy Brager.
Funeral services will be held on Monday, October 12, 2015 at 12:30 in the Duker & Haugh Funeral Home and at 1:00 PM in the Church of St. Peter. Interment in Quincy Memorial Park. Visitation will be held on Sunday from 4:00 to 7:00 PM in the Duker & Haugh Funeral Home. Memorials may be made to the Villa Angela Home for Girls in Springfield, IL, the Sunset Home, or the Church of St. Peter.
Kathy (Brager) Chepulis
- Uncle Harold was one of a kind! We always enjoyed his sense of humor and wonderful smile. Our thoughts and prayers go out to our cousins at this sad time. We take comfort in knowing that Uncle Harold and Aunt Darlene are reunited in Heaven now.
Rick and Lisa Epping
- So sorry to hear of your Dad's passing Jerry! Keeping you, Lisa and Kara in our thoughts and prayers!
- My sympathy on the loss of your dad. My parents were good friends of your mom and dad.
- I loved going with my grandpa dale to the pub Harold would always give me warm cashews after my grandpa dale passed i told my grandma Nubie and my mom Sue that when i little i always thought Harold and grandpa dale were brothers hes was a good man im gonna miss him but hes smiling in heaven with the love of his life again
- Our thoughts and prayers are with your families in the loss of Harold.